Cineplex Entertainment’s environmental sustainability position has been developed in conjunction with the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility mission of showing “a commitment to sustainable growth and good stewardship in the communities we serve.” As a leading out-of-home entertainment destination, it is important for Cineplex to not only provide the quality experience Canadians deserve but also show leadership in sustainable business practices.
Mission Statement: Cineplex Entertainment will endeavour to become a leading retailer in corporate environmental sustainability. This is a commitment to our guests, employees, shareholders and future generations.
Please use this link to Corporate Donations to find out more about our corporate giving programs.
Cineplex Entertainment has focused our sustainability initiatives around three inter-connected issues:
- Electronic Waste: Cineplex has partnered with GEEP since 2012 to have all electronic waste either repurposed, recycled or reused resulting in a 99% diversion rate to landfill.
- 3D Glasses: All 3D glasses used during our screenings that are disposed of in our convenient specially marked bins are recycled.
- Ticket Receipts: We shrunk the size of our ticket to help reduce the amount of paper used.
- Recycling: This is a priority focus for Cineplex as we continue to work with our staff, landlords, municipalities and guests to help us increase our diversion rate.
- LED Retrofit: Cineplex has been undergoing an LED retrofit for lighting at the majority of our theatres since 2013. As of the end of 2014, we have converted 92 theatres resulting in almost 10 million kWh in savings. This translates to a reduction of approximately 7,400 tons of greenhouse gases annually which is the equivalent of taking 1,400 vehicles off the road or powering 857 homes. The retrofit also allowed us to avoid sending over 70,000 lamps into land fill annually.
- Building Automation Systems: Integrating our showtimes, operating hours and attendance levels with our lighting, heating and cooling systems has allowed us to reduce our energy consumption significantly.
- Paper products: Cineplex has endeavoured to maximize our use of recycled paper in our operations as well as Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper with the objective of not consuming paper originating from endangered forests. Cineplex is proud to use popcorn bags that are made entirely with FSC certified paper, kids combo trays containing 80% post-consumer recycled content and all small, medium and large drink cups are manufactured using certified paper including paper certified by FSC. Cineplex is proud to be a strategic partner of Canopy. For a complete look at our Paper Procurement Policy – please visit here.
- LEED Buildings: Cineplex currently has three operating theatres that are either LEED certified or are in the process of certification. Galaxy Cinemas Brantford, Galaxy Cinemas Pergola Commons and Cineplex Cinemas Abbotsford and VIP with another theatre in the works for Markham, Ontario. Since our introduction to the LEED process at Galaxy Cinemas Brantford – Cineplex has taken many of the learnings/findings from that theatre and applied it to all subsequent new builds. Technology such as white roofs, low flow fixtures and building automation systems have now become standard features in our theatres.