Under the Skin
June 6, 1998 | 1h 25m
Samantha Morton, Claire Rushbrook, Rita Tushingham, Christine Tremarco, Stuart Townsend, Matthew Delamere, Mark Womack, Clare Francis, Joe Tucker, Daniel O'Meara, Crissy Rock, Lisa Millett, John Whitehall, Marie Jelliman, Michelle Byatt, Stella Scragg, David Brice, Jack Marsden, Sean Cauldwell, Sandie Lavelle, Jill Broadber, Castle Singers
Set in Liverpool over two months, story follows Iris, a restless dreamer who has a boring boyfriend Gary. Her sister, Rose, is married to reliable Frank and is seven months pregnant. One evening, Iris bumps into a young Irish guy, Tom, and they have sex in an alley. Wearing her mother's wig, fur coat, and sunglasses, Iris becomes prey to erotic fantasies, casual sex, and an obsession with Tom. Understandably, her relationship with Rose and her best friend Vron are pushed to the limit.
- Carine Adler Nominee for the 1999 British Independent Film Awards for Best Director
- Carine Adler Winner for the 1999 Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best New Filmmaker
- Winner of the International Critics Award at 1997 Toronto International Film Festival.
- Samantha Morton Nominee for the 1999 British Independent Film Awards for Best Actress
- Samantha Morton Winner for the 1999 Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress
- Winner of the Honorable Mention Award at the 1998 Seattle International Film Festival.
- Winner of two 1998 awards, including Best Actress (Samantha Morton) and Best New Filmmaker (Carine Adler) from the 1998 Boston Society of Film Critics.