Breaking down the new trailer for Avengers: Infinity War
I have a problem with Avengers movies in general.
Don’t get me wrong – visually they’re stunning, with great musical scores and terrific casts. The problem? I never really feel the danger. The Avengers always survive the most incredible battles, then dust themselves off, ready to fight another day in another movie. At no point, ever, have I feared for their lives.
But Avengers: Infinity War feels a little different to me, particularly the latest trailer. Maybe it’s the music. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s Chris Pratt’s Star-Lord providing the comic relief instead of Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark, who we could always previously rely on for some deadpan responses. Or the dramatic line “the end is near”. In any event, I suspect there will be actual casualties this time around.
Here’s what else I think we can glean from the new trailer:
- Gang’s (almost) all here – all the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, heck – even Black Panther. Where’s Hawkeye and Ant-Man? Still no sign. Starting to wonder if they are simply cameos (not seeing them in the latest poster either).
- I don’t think Quill and Stark are going to get along. Quill’s lacking the respect Stark probably feels is his due with the “Let’s talk about this plan of yours. I think it’s good…except, it sucks”. Stark doesn’t take well to criticism (unless of course, he’s dishing it out).
- Thanos: “The end is near. When I’m done half of humanity will still exist”. Finally a villain who doesn’t promise to wipe out ALL of human existence! Half of us will make it! Makes me want to hear his plan in a little more detail…
- Could Thanos have a heart? What’s with holding the little girl’s hand? Is this a flashback to when he "adopted" Gamora?
- What’s with the headless guy with the cape? I want to say maybe Dr. Strange has just gone invisible on us, but I don’t think it can be that easy.
- Anyone find it strange that Peter Parker puts his spidey mask on, on the side of a school bus, and keeps on his street clothes? Looks like a huge risk to me, potentially revealing his identity.
From the looks of things, quite a few of our favourites are in actual peril here. I'm a little worried about Thor, Doctor Strange, and Captain America, guys. I guess we will find out who survives on April 27th.
Watch the new trailer for Avengers: Infinity War below, and get your advance tickets here!